Monday, September 11, 2006

Garden Dirt: The Lesser Known Vitamin

Our younger son, Adik, just loves playing in the garden. Sometimes he ‘helps’ to water the plants, other times he plays on the slide or runs up and down the garden kicking and throwing a ball with our cats following closely behind.

One day I was with him in the garden when he was going up and down the slide. It had just been raining that afternoon and the ground was a little soggy. So, it was inevitable that some dirt got onto the top of the slide.

There I was, just minding my own business, watching my 13-month old son climb up to the top of the slide. He paused for a second and in a split second (must have been when I blinked), a clump of dirt disappeared from the top of the slide.

Hmmm.

I didn’t see him push it away, nor kick it away. It didn’t look like he threw it away either. Definitely he didn't flick it off the slide (not that he knows how to flick anyway).

While in denial and trying to make up excuses, Adik turned around with a really gleeful look on his face and started chewing. Aiieeeeee!! Gross, Adik! Spit it out! Spit it out!

He thought I was playing a game with him. Although I don’t know what kind of game involves your mother being hysterical trying to pry your mouth open and digging yummy dirt out with her (equally dirty) finger.

He’s giggling away, avoiding my prying finger still chewing and the worst part is I can actually see what he’s chewing. Ugh.

Oh well. Maybe this is his way of getting fibre in his diet. I’ve always thought that children are great at self regulating their own food intake. (“Food” in the broad sense of the word, including but not limited to garden dirt.) Since he doesn’t like eating fruits perhaps this will help his, um, digestive system. Hey, maybe he’s on to something! Nutritionists and dieticians take note!

Having said that, I would have thought that all the paper, cardboard, playdoh and assorted other stationery items would make up for the lack of fruit intake.

I thought wrong.

P/S. On a more serious note, we are very watchful of Adik as his pincer grasp is really good and this makes it a serious choking hazard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web site tracking
Amazon Coupon