Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Things Children Say

At 13+ months, Adik is starting to make some recognisable baby talk. He's been babbling for a few months now, just idle chatter, but lately the babbling almost resembles half-words.

For example, he can say “ts-ts-ts-ts” which, amazingly, stands for “cheese”. It’s one of his favourite snacks. In between meals if I suspect he’s a touch hungry I take him to the kitchen and ask him, “Adik, would you like some cheese? Yes? Let’s have some cheese, nak?” And when I open the fridge he happily points to the cheese, saying, “Ts-ts-ts-ts-ts.”

Then there are our cats, whom he calls “Ca’!” which is like saying “cat” but without the “t” sound. This usually happens when he’s running up and down the garden chasing our cat, Harun, who manages to hide amidst our kangkung patch.

Also, after I give him a bath, I brush his teeth. He absolutely loves brushing his teeth. I suspect he’s actually addicted to the children’s toothpaste, but, what the heck, eh? Anyway, he gets very impatient when I’m drying him off as he can see his toothbrush on the bathroom counter.

“Tith-tith-tith-tith,” he repeats non-stop while pointing to his toothbrush.

“Yes, yes, we’ll brush your teeth once you’re dry,” I tell him as I rush to dry him off.

“TITH-TITH-TITH-TITH!!”

“Ok, we’re almost there. It would help if you stopped squirming.” Trying to reason with a 13 month old and it usually doesn’t work.

So eventually I manage to brush all 6 of his teeth and he has a very serious expression on his face while tasting his toothpaste. One would think he was a wine taster.

“Mmmm… this toothpaste, it starts off on a soft floral top note which soon settles down to a woody base. Oral-B, vintage 2005? No, no ... make that 2006.” Too bad he doesn’t know how to spit it out just yet.

Oh yes, "Ca!" could also mean car. There’s a Little Tikes toy car at my parents house which the boys just love to sit and “drive” around in. It dates back to, oh, when their 9-year old cousin, Cuz, was a wee toddler. So that would make the ‘coupe’ about 8 years old. Anyway, Abang can "drive" himself quite well, backwards and forwards whereas Adik seems to only go backwards. Mater would be so proud of him!

I’m looking forward to hearing him speak like his Abang. Last weekend, during the party (see "Party On!"), I piled my plate full of food and tried to sneak off and eat with the adults. It was not to be, as Abang saw me and just as I was about to sit down, he said, “Mummy, would you like to eat inside with me?”

I mean, honestly, how can you say no to that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web site tracking
Amazon Coupon