Monday, February 16, 2009

The Language of ... Kids

Well, my kids anyway.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but Nenek has been complaining that the boys don't speak Malay very well. In fact, I think her exact words were, "Abang tu cakap Melayu macam mat salleh."

Well, we think they speak perfectly fine Malay. Of course, that was until I overheard Abang asking Wan, "Wan! Apa itu untuk?" I cringed so hard when I realised that was a literal translation of "What's that for?" Good thing Nenek wasn't there!

Then there was the time Abang was playing a game on his computer - I think it was Batman - and Wan was asking him what the game was about.

"Abang main apa tu?"

"Abang main computer game."

She peered closer at the screen. "Abang yang mana?"

"Abang yang ni," he pointed at Batman, "Abang Batman."

"Jadi Batman buat apa tu?"

"Batman nak kill the bad guys sebab dia nak save the world."

Hmmm ... maybe Nenek isn't too far off the mark eh.

Then, today, Adik asked Wan for some cold milk:

"Wan, Adik nak sejuk susu!"

Cringe, cringe, cringe!

3 Comments:

At 2:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too funny! And I thought I had wasted all my years (and parents' money) learning Malay when I couldn't form a sentence with all the proper words in the right order on my last trip. I'm having problems understanding some of the Facebook Wall conversations that are being held in Malay. It sounds like nothing I had to learn for SPM.

 
At 11:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm...ant j needs to speak more malay to them boys then....but then they tend to reply in english..hmmm how ah - ant J

 
At 3:56 PM , Blogger Full Time Mom said...

Well, as long as you don't offer them "sejuk susu", why not eh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web site tracking
Amazon Coupon