Sunday, May 18, 2008

More Experiments!

Daddy requested an "orange cake with chocolate icing" so I decided to attempt the orange cake part first before I start fiddling with chocolate icing.

In fact, before I even attempt an orange cake I thought what I'd do is find an orange cake recipe and make cupcakes first, just in case tak jadi. (If tak jadi at least it's easier to camouflage in a cupcake as opposed to a cake.)

After looking for recipes on the internet, I noticed that most of them were at least one page long. A pinch of this, a teaspoon of that, a smidgen of whatever, a blah-blah to taste. Whatever happened to just butter, sugar, flour, eggs and orange?

So I decided to experiment with my own recipe. I usually make regular pound cakes, i.e. butter, sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla essence. Nice and simple. My experiment was to replace the vanilla essence with - believe it or not - an orange! I grated the orange peel and squeezed the juice out. In the end I didn't use all the juice as I was worried it might make the mix a little too runny, but I did use all the peel.

If I do say so myself, I thought they tasted rather yummy! In fact, I tried something new with the topping - I spread some icing and put a smarties on each cupcake. Here are the results:



As you can tell, I'm rather pleased with myself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web site tracking
Amazon Coupon